Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Well now the serious business...

After a wonderful weekend with my family, Jace and I went to the dreaded appointment at MD Anderson. Yes I know they are great there, but lately we have not been getting many good news therefore I dislike it! After we arrived, the first huge sign we both saw at the airport was MD Anderson Making Cancer History. It was like someone was saying "wake up, remember you have to go to MD tomorrow!" I reacted with "Thanks for the reminder!"

We have been pretty calm despite the tough challenge we could be facing, whether Jace's new chemo would work. There were two options on the table if the chemotherapy worked, Jace would probably have to receive more chemo. If the chemo did not work then Jace's right lung would be removed followed by 6 weeks of radiation. So yesterday after being in the hospital for 6 1/2 hours we saw the oncologist. She said that the tumors had stayed stable, but there had not been a reduction in the size of them. These were definitely NOT the news that I wanted to hear, because then she quickly followed with "me and the surgeon spoke and we will have to go ahead and remove the right lung and part of the pleura." My heart dropped and I definitely didn't know what to say, except feel like I wanted to run away like a six year old crying. Neither one of us ran away and yes we were able to ask a few questions. Today I feel like I should not think about it too much, because I may open some floodgates that are not going to close any time soon. But I am truly telling myself "it is going to be ok, we will get through it." I am not quite sure if currently I have some denial or I am just doing a great deal of avoidance, but I keep on thinking one step at a time I have to take care of today, don't think of what could happen.

For now I think one thing that I will truly appreciate from everyone is thinking and praying that Jace will do amazing and that we will get through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment